Vegan Mexican Quinoa Bites
Who doesn't like finger food that is low glycemic and an excellent source of plant-based protein?! I know I sure as heck do! Just a friendly reminder that you do not have to sacrifice protein when going plant-based. There are plenty of protein sources from plants, you just need to get a little creative and shake it up from time to time:)
-2.5 cups Quinoa (cooked)
-2 cups toppings (I used black beans and bell pepper sautéed in skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil. I used one can Black beans and 2 bell peppers, and had some left over)
-1 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese (I suggest follow your heart pepper jack or Mexican blend)
-1/4 cup salsa
-2 tbsp taco seasoning
-5 tbsp "Neat egg" plus 10 tbsp water...or 5 regular eggs if not plant based.
-Avocado or coconut oil spray for pan
1. Preheat oven to 375 and cook quinoa. Follow instructions on package.
2. Sauté bell peppers in skillet with oil. Add in drained/rinsed beans and cook for another minute or so.
3. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and mash a few times if you want beans to be slightly mashed. Not necessary, but nice.
4. Make sure to spray mini muffin tin well with avocado oil spray and scoop mixture into tin.
5. Bake on 375 for 20-25 min. Let sit for a few min before removing.
6. I serve with extra salsa for dipping.